Wednesday, August 19, 2009

McRuffy kindergarten curriculum arrives!


I went crazy and bought Crumpet's kindergarten curriculum 2 years early... It was on ebay for half of what I would pay for it new so I just went for it. The box arrived yesterday, and I'm really pleased with it. I chose to use McRuffy's math, science and phonics programs. I'll add Five in a Row, and a few other odds and ends when we get closer to the beginning of school. I wanted a program that taught mostly through the use of games, manipulatives, and experiments because I'm pretty sure Crumpet is going to be a hands on, learn by doing, kind of boy! I'll have to use this curriculum on a daily basis to know for sure, but it looks perfect so far. I'm actually considering starting some of the science soon. The program looks pretty straight forward, even for a 3 1/2 year old. We talk about the world around us all the time, and do simple projects, but Crumpet still has questions, and I'd love to have him discover the answers by doing his own science experiments! I'll write some posts about how it goes when we begin (I still have to buy the science and math manipulatives, which are reasonably priced but not within budget just yet!)!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you really can't wait :) I tried some of the kindergarten materials with my girl who is not even 3 yet, and she took to it readily. I think that Crumpet might be readier for kindergarten than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give it a try. I'm doing kinder with my 4 year olds. I'm just not super stressing about it if they aren't ready for some parts yet. Oh, and my 2 year old is doing most of the activities with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to start homeschooling my 4.5 year old next month, and I'm considering using the McRuffy Science Curriculum. Have you used it yet?

    ReplyDelete